Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Guitar Technique: String Bending

A common guitar technique and something that is a unique opportunity for string players is the idea of bending. Other instruments have methods for bending the sound of the notes, but guitar players have the ability to grab that neck and work out some aggression on those little metal strings.

In class we have talked about bending for use in vibrato (a subtle shifting of the note up and down), and traditional bending to get from one note to another without crossing frets.

In class I may have played the opening lick to Eric Clapton's Wonderful Tonight.
This song is a classic example of the use of bends to move from one note to another in an expressive way. This song will also make you a hit at any Proms you might want to attend.

I will demonstrate this lick in class and you can use the notation and tab (with suggested fingerings) as a guide.



Lick played over opening chords
G   D   C   D   G   D   C   D

G                   D
   It's late in the evening
C                         D
   She's wondering what clothes to wear
G                  D
   She puts on her make up
C                   D
   And brushes her long blonde hair
C               D
   And then she asks me
G       D      Em
   Do I look alright
              C             D           G (Lick) D   C  D
   And I say yes, you look wonderful tonight

G           D
   We go a party
C                D
   And everyone turns to see
G                 D
   This beautiful lady
C                   D
   That's walking around with me
C               D
   And then she asks me
G         D     Em
   Do you feel alright
              C           D           G
   And I say yes, I feel wonderful tonight

           C
   I feel wonderful
      D               G         D       Em
   Because I see the love light in your eyes
            C           D
   And the wonder of it all
                C             D
   Is that you just don't realize
               G  (Lick)   D  C  D  G  D  C  D
   How much I love you

G                   D
   It's time to go home now
C                          D
   And I've got an aching head
G                     D
   So I give her the car keys
C                   D
   She helps me to bed
C              D
   And then I tell her
G       D            Em
   As I turn out the light
             C                 D           G     D   Em 
   I say my darling, you were wonderful tonight
          C                 D           G (Lick)   D   C  D  G  D   C  D  G
   Oh my darling, you were wonderful tonight

No comments:

Post a Comment